Sunday, December 27, 2009

Week #4 - Recovery Week

Good thing Week #4 was a Recovery Week because I was still back East for my dad's three year anniversary since he pasted away from AML (a type of leukemia).

One periodization cycle is now completed! We started out with lower volume, built up our volume for three weeks and now it is time for our bodies to soak up that training.

Our recovery weeks serve two purposes: First, they allow our bodies some time to repair themselves and get ready for the next cycle of training. The reduced volume is also a great time to spend a few extra hours before the holidays hit to work on my fundraising by scheduling events and getting letters/emails out to potential donors. (More to come on this below.) Second, the recovery week provides an opporunity, while my body is a bit fresher from lower volume, to do some marker sets.

Marker sets are repeatable efforts that will be used as benchmarks so I and the coaches can see my progress in each of teh disciplines I am working on. Not every recovery week will always have a marker for each sport, but I can count on at least two of the three on any given recovery week. This week we will be completing one swim marker and one bike marker. It needs to be repeatable to have any value so I will always do the same routes.

Once again, I will be taking part in an endurance athletic event, The Vineman AquaBike, on July 31, 2010, to raise money and awareness for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. My goal is to raise $6000 to help fund research to find a cure. Please visit my website, where you can securely donate:
http://pages.teamintraining.org/sf/VineFIrn10/dbache

No comments:

Post a Comment