Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Week #33 - Triple Brick Time

Hi Folks,
Well, I was in San Diego all week for the NACURH 2010 conference with some of Berkeley's student leaders so I missed all the workouts for the week. It's ok, because I knew I was returning back to a major weekend - the triple brick workout.
Saturday - I went up to swim the Vineman Course. It was the first time I got to preview the venue and the course. I'm really glad I did. I tried a sleeveless wetsuit for the first time too. The water was nice and warm. I was alittle discouraged because on the way out, I really felt like I was dragging. At times, I was grabbing dirt from the bottom of the river, but the majority of time, the river was full. I finally made it to the turn-around and I looked at my watch - "what, 34 minutes -damn." I saw my swim coach and she informed me there was a current and to time myself on the way back. Ok - so I did. This time it took me 21 minutes to return to the start. Whew - I felt better about my swim then and it was a good thing for me to remember on race day. I couldn't see the current but I sure felt it on the way out.

Sunday - my day started off really early as I left the house at 6:30am for my 1 hour up to Yountville City Park. I had a 9 hour workout ahead of me, 2 hours bike ride followed by a 1 hour run X 3. As i arrived at the park, it was great to see my old cycling Coach, K.Sue and some members of my previous cycling team.

I head down to transition and start setting up my stuff. I put on a ton of sunscreen because the temps were gonna get up to about 100 degrees later in the day. I was shining from all the sunscreen I put on. 8am rolled around and it was time to go. My strategy was to take the first brick (3 hours) nice and slow. I felt confident about my nutrition plan so it was gonna test it out. The first 10 miles of the bike ride was flat and directly in the sun. Then, there was some shade and there were some hills to climb. All was fine on the first round. I get back in 2 hours and switch to my run gear. I head out and planned to walk the first run and see what happened on the next two. All was well and I made it back to transition in an hour. Time to switch to my bike gear again and re-apply sunscreen.

I head back out for round two on the bike and all is good. I didn't make it as far as I did the first time, but it's ok. So far, everything is working according to plan. I make it back to transition in 2 hours and put on my run gear again. All I wanted was a cold, wet towel to put around my neck for a minute and Mama Yosh had them. Wow that felt amazing right about then. I decided I was gonna walk again because my hip flexor was alittle tight on the walk but wasn't bothering me on the bike so I was happy about that. I got my power bar out to get some calories in and I had to force myself to eat it. I'm thinking, I know it's hot, but I need the calories to continue.

I make it back to transition in an hour and put on my bike gear again along with more sunscreen. Ok, it was getting hot now and I've been working out for 6 hour so far.

I head back out on the bike for my third and final round. All was good for about 10 miles, then I tried to take some of my liquid fuel and I thought I was gonna throw up. Hmmm.... ok what to do. I need calories but can't seem to take them in. I made it to the water stop and decided I was gonna turn around even though I still had 10 minutes left until my official turn around time. Just then, a stranger rolls in with another teammate and tells us to not quit. He had just been diagnosed with a terminal form of cancer 6 days ago and he was out riding his bike while he still could. Well shit - I can't turn around now so I continued on for my 10 minutes until my official turn around time. He came at the right time and provided us some much needed inspiration.

I turn around and start to head back to transition. I have 1 hour to go and i am re-inspired to finish my bike and one more run. I'm drinking my salt water, trying to drink some calories but I couldn't get the calories in. My plan isn't working that well. In 100 degree temps, people can not take in and digest as many calorie as they normally can.

The last 5 miles of my ride were not pretty. I was out in the open with no shade, could not get calories in me so I just drank my salt water. I was sweating really good and then I stopped sweating for a few minutes. Ok - that made me nervous. So, I drank more, pedaled less and continued until I made it back to transition. At that point, I knew I was done for the day. All i wanted was a cold, wet towel to put on my head and some real food. My body has never rejected the fuel I use during workouts until that workout. I hit the wall and due to the heat, I ended my day so I wouldn't get heat exhaustion. After an hour of sitting with a towel around my neck and eating half my sandwich, I felt normal again. Wow - that was a hard-ass workout and the heat made it even more challenging, but i completed 3 bike rides and 2 runs in 8 hours. This weekend was one for the record books - weather, distance, duration, and we are moving into the July training calendar.

To top off the weekend, I was awarded the Iron Spirit Cape - it is awarded to someone who shows Iron spirit to the team and each person adds something to the cape and it's gets passed to another person until the season is completed.

Here's to a great week ahead.
Cheers,
Dana

1 comment:

  1. Just discovered your blog! Reading this made me dizzy! A triple brick!!! Kudos to you for finishing and persevering, and I'm so glad you were awarded the Iron Spirit Cape!! Well-deserved, for sure. Keep up the good work...love reading about your journey. It's all about the journey, yeah? :)

    ReplyDelete