Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Week #28 - Recovery

It's crunch time for me. Only 11 weeks remaining until race day so I'll be entering my last two training periodization cycles called the "Race Phase." Race Phase has continued longer efforts and some interval sets to maximize my training potential while still being about to be ready for the next workout.
This is a much needed recovery week. The recovery week is REALLY important because my body must have time to repair itself and regenerate tissues that have broken down during my training sessions. For the past 7/8 months, I've been breaking down muscle fibers, causing micro-tears in them, and them repairing them. In the process, more fibers are developed and better blood flow to existing fibers is happening. My quads are getting stronger and bigger. It's a good thing!
The weather caused for a spin on Tuesday vs our regular ride up Mt. Diablo. Coach Dave had his stereo blasting and I happened to be placed right in front of a speaker. I had the best spin in a long time. We did 60' of long hill progressions and the music kept me focus on something other than being in my hardest gear and spinning up a hill. I really enjoyed that spin and with the rain pouring down, there was a nice breeze.
My swimming is going well. We completed a swim marker set and it was 5 X 500s, different then the distances we have been swimming. I completed the first two 500s and they were around the same time. My third 500 was alittle slower so I thought I would swim harder for my last two 500s and my speed would increase. WRONG - my strategy backfired and that is what training is all about. Basically, by swimming harder, I actually was working harder but was shortening my stroke which caused my times to slow down. I talked to my swim coach about it because I was disappointed. She plans to show me in person how to do the semi-catch up stroke which is what distance swimmers do when they feel their stroke shorten.
There was a Captain's run on Saturday and we were in Alameda. I was excited because I didn't have to travel very far. It was an easy 120' run at an easy long pace. It went really well, but it was really busy that day. The See Jane Tri was doing a 10 mile run, the East Bay Run Team had a workout and then just folks were out and about enjoying the weather.
Sunday was a bike marker and I did REALLY well. I had an increase speed of 7.13% so I was really excited to have a better marker set compared to my last one AND there was a headwind in both directions.
It seems that I have recovered well from my bike accident and am back in the game.
Here's to a great week ahead.
Cheers,
Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment