Friday, May 14, 2010

Week #26

Hi Folks,
It really has been half a year already. WOW - and there is so much more to come. This week was a pivotal week for me on the bike. It was a test to see how my knee would respond to long distance riding. SO, I set out on a 60 mile bike ride up in Napa along the Silverado Trail.
I was feeling great initially. Then as my teammates began to increase their pace to simulate race pace, there I was in the back. I knew my knee was not ready to be pushed like that. My goal for the day: finish the ride and have less swelling after the ride than last time. My goal was achieved but it wasn't easy. This was my longest ride since my bike accident.
I started having shifting issues about mile 10. Fortunately, Coach Mike was able to fix it. It was so great to see Mama Yosh out that at the waterstop with a clipboard in hand on Mother's Day weekend.
I hit a headwind about mile 20. That was challenging for me. My hamstrings were very tight and my stomach started to cramp. I had tried a new dish the night before and deviated from my normal routine. BIG lesson learned there.
I made it to the turnaround and was still feeling really good. I started on my way back and had another headwind. Damn - a headwind in both directions, that's not supposed to happen. Well, as the coaches say, "that's money in the bank". I thought of the wind as it's added training experience.
Mile 48 was where I started to lose my happy place and needed to search for it. My butt was hurting really bad, hamstrings were still tight and I was ready to be done. I thought about my dad, how my mom was in town visiting, and how if I just kept pedaling, I would be that much closer to being done. That worked!
After the ride, my knee responded well and did not swell as much as it did before. I look forward to next week, where I'll attempt hill repeats up Mt. Diablo and an 80 mile bike ride on the Vineman Course.
Here's to a great week.
Cheers,
Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment